Construction for the Bollinger Canyon Road widening project in central San Ramon is set to begin this week and is expected to last through fall 2018.
The purpose of the project is to increase road capacity in order to accommodate the upcoming City Center Bishop Ranch, General Plan buildout and the Dougherty Valley buildout, according to city officials.
Officials expect that most of the work will occur during the day behind concrete barriers, with construction that has a serious traffic impact taking place at night.
"The city asks for your cooperation and consideration while construction is underway," San Ramon officials said. "While the Project has been planned to minimize impacts to the public, some construction impacts and inconveniences cannot be avoided."
Specifically, the project includes several additions:
* An additional travel lane in each direction from Market Place to Interstate 680.
* Extended dual left-turn lanes on eastbound Bollinger Canyon Road to northbound Sunset Drive and to northbound Camino Ramon.
* A second left-turn lane on westbound Bollinger Canyon Road to Chevron and Bishop Ranch 1.
* An exclusive right-turn lane on westbound Bollinger Canyon Road to northbound Camino Ramon.
* A second left-turn lane on southbound Sunset Drive to eastbound Bollinger Canyon Road.
The project is funded with Southern Contra Costa Joint Exercise Powers Agreement funds and development funds. It's being constructed by Sunset Development and their contractor through a reimbursement agreement with San Ramon.