News

Man faces four felony charges for retail theft, carjackings in San Ramon Valley

Accomplices in Ace Hardware incident remain at-large

Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton is pressing multiple felony charges against a suspect arrested for a retail theft and two carjacking incidents in the San Ramon Valley last week, she announced Tuesday.

(Stock image)

According to a District Attorney's Office press release, 30-year-old Philander Johnson and two others attempted to leave the Ace Hardware store near Blackhawk with multiple power tools in hand on Nov. 24. After store staff confronted Johnson, he allegedly pulled out a knife and escaped.

Johnson then separated from the other two unidentified suspects and allegedly entered an uninvolved person's car. Court filings said Johnson directed the driver at knifepoint to drive him away from the area.

Upon arrival in San Ramon, Johnson allegedly entered a second occupied car and threatened the driver to drive him away.

Law enforcement officers were in the area during the interaction and apprehended Johnson, according to police.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join

Johnson is in custody as he waits for his arraignment, the District Attorney's Office said. He has been charged with two counts of carjacking for kidnapping, one count of robbery and one count of assault with a deadly weapon.

"This brazen crime spree is a flagrant violation of community safety," Becton said in a statement. "My office is working in a coordinated effort with law enforcement partners throughout the Bay Area to identify perpetrators of organized retail theft. Those who engage in such criminality will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law by the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office."

The two other suspects reportedly involved in the initial incident at Ace Hardware remain unidentified and at-large, according to authorities.

Editor's note: DanvilleSanRamon.com editor Jeremy Walsh contributed to this story.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Follow DanvilleSanRamon.com on Twitter @DanvilleSanRamo, Facebook and on Instagram @ for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Get uninterrupted access to important local crime news. Become a member today.

Man faces four felony charges for retail theft, carjackings in San Ramon Valley

Accomplices in Ace Hardware incident remain at-large

by /

Uploaded: Tue, Nov 30, 2021, 10:51 pm

Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton is pressing multiple felony charges against a suspect arrested for a retail theft and two carjacking incidents in the San Ramon Valley last week, she announced Tuesday.

According to a District Attorney's Office press release, 30-year-old Philander Johnson and two others attempted to leave the Ace Hardware store near Blackhawk with multiple power tools in hand on Nov. 24. After store staff confronted Johnson, he allegedly pulled out a knife and escaped.

Johnson then separated from the other two unidentified suspects and allegedly entered an uninvolved person's car. Court filings said Johnson directed the driver at knifepoint to drive him away from the area.

Upon arrival in San Ramon, Johnson allegedly entered a second occupied car and threatened the driver to drive him away.

Law enforcement officers were in the area during the interaction and apprehended Johnson, according to police.

Johnson is in custody as he waits for his arraignment, the District Attorney's Office said. He has been charged with two counts of carjacking for kidnapping, one count of robbery and one count of assault with a deadly weapon.

"This brazen crime spree is a flagrant violation of community safety," Becton said in a statement. "My office is working in a coordinated effort with law enforcement partners throughout the Bay Area to identify perpetrators of organized retail theft. Those who engage in such criminality will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law by the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office."

The two other suspects reportedly involved in the initial incident at Ace Hardware remain unidentified and at-large, according to authorities.

Editor's note: DanvilleSanRamon.com editor Jeremy Walsh contributed to this story.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Post a comment

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.