News

Two residents die in townhome fire in Walnut Creek

Flames likely sparked by smoking materials downstairs; oxygen machine causes rapid spread

Contra Costa County Fire District firefighters work a two-alarm fire that killed two people at the Countrywood Townhomes in Walnut Creek on Nov. 14. (Photo courtesy Con Fire via Bay City News)

A fire Monday morning at a Walnut Creek townhome that killed an elderly woman, her adult son and a small dog was accidental, fire officials said.

The two-alarm blaze was reported at 6:30 a.m. at a condominium complex on Countrywood Court, near Treat Boulevard and Bancroft Road.

Fire officials believe the fire was sparked by smoking materials in a first-floor bedroom and an oxygen machine contributed to its rapid spread through the home, according to a social media post by the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

The victims were on the second floor, assistant fire chief Chris Bachman said. Their names have not been released.

When crews arrived, one of the three people living there had escaped the blaze and told firefighters that the other two were still inside, Bachman said.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join

The resident who escaped was treated at the scene. There was damage to units on either side of the townhomes, fire officials said.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Follow DanvilleSanRamon.com on Twitter @DanvilleSanRamo, Facebook and on Instagram @ for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Two residents die in townhome fire in Walnut Creek

Flames likely sparked by smoking materials downstairs; oxygen machine causes rapid spread

by Bay City News Service /

Uploaded: Mon, Nov 14, 2022, 10:17 pm

A fire Monday morning at a Walnut Creek townhome that killed an elderly woman, her adult son and a small dog was accidental, fire officials said.

The two-alarm blaze was reported at 6:30 a.m. at a condominium complex on Countrywood Court, near Treat Boulevard and Bancroft Road.

Fire officials believe the fire was sparked by smoking materials in a first-floor bedroom and an oxygen machine contributed to its rapid spread through the home, according to a social media post by the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

The victims were on the second floor, assistant fire chief Chris Bachman said. Their names have not been released.

When crews arrived, one of the three people living there had escaped the blaze and told firefighters that the other two were still inside, Bachman said.

The resident who escaped was treated at the scene. There was damage to units on either side of the townhomes, fire officials said.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Post a comment

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.