Local high schoolers to be required to take class for on-campus parking

Original post made on Oct 11, 2017

Teen drivers in the San Ramon Valley Unified School District will now be required to attend a free two-hour "CHP Start Smart" class with their parent or guardian in order to be eligible for an on-campus parking permit.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 10, 2017, 4:30 PM

8 people like this
Posted by Jackie
on Oct 11, 2017 at 10:54 am

I think the program is a good idea for the students but to require a parent to sit through the 2 hour class as well is ridiculous. As a parent who volunteers my time in the schools, works full time and shuttles kids around after school, the last thing I want to do is sit in a 2 hour driving class. I've probably been driving longer than some of the people associated with the program.

7 people like this
Posted by Joe
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:41 am

"The CHP Start Smart classes provide an excellent opportunity for students and their parents to engage each other in a conversation about safe driving practices," Superintendent Rick Schmitt said.

14 people like this
Posted by MV Mom
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:41 am

As soon as I read this article I knew we'd see parents complaining about being too "busy" to participate. Give me a break.., you don't have two hours to contribute to your child's safety? We all know many high school parking lots are filled with distracted, careless teen drivers. Many of these kids shouldn't be behind the wheel. Let's help educate them (and their parents).

7 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Oct 13, 2017 at 1:38 pm

This is a reply to Jackie's comment. Having attended this class with my daughter a few years ago, I can assure you that it is very important that a parent attends with their child. It was not a class where they only discussed driving skills, but a class where they talked about being a responsible driver and what the consequences are if you are not a responsible driver. Often the stories were heartbreaking and the slide show disturbing... extremely disturbing. This is why it is important for the parent to attend with their child. Not only to be by their side while this tragic information is being shared and shown, but to be able to discuss with your child after the class. The both of you will feel “raw” but more educated. Your soon to be driving teen will have huge responsibilities with possible tragic consequences if he/she doesn’t drive responsibly… and this class is given to explain what those consequences could be and how to avoid making bad and possibly fatal decisions.

7 people like this
Posted by Tom
on Oct 15, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Why can't the schools bring back the mandatory drivers education classes so that all the kids get these valuable life skills over much longer period than a two hour class they will quickly ignore? You remember those classes we all had to take? That included behind the wheel instruction, for free, as part of our public schooling? Where did all that money go when they cut those programs? I know where it went, do you?

As for parents sitting through those classes, I will join all of you with a resounding, "not me, I don't have time! I don't need training" while all along observing that the majority of bad drivers I encounter as I shuttle my kids to and from the high schools are parents.