Remembering Arlie: Well-known Danville Costco greeter dies

Original post made on Nov 11, 2017

Arlie Smith, a longtime and popular greeter at the Danville Costco, died early Tuesday morning after years of battling multiple sclerosis and cancer. He was 48.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 10, 2017, 5:38 PM

31 people like this
Posted by Dan Davis
on Nov 11, 2017 at 8:02 am

Great story with a sad ending. We should all live our lives so well.

25 people like this
Posted by Arlene
a resident of Diablo
on Nov 13, 2017 at 7:37 am

Arlie was certainly a role model for all of us. I'd like to send a card to his wife, Shari. Where might we send it?

15 people like this
Posted by James von Halle
on Nov 13, 2017 at 7:40 am

Always friendly and a good man!

17 people like this
Posted by Louise
on Nov 13, 2017 at 11:32 am

Cheerful and happy under dire circumstances. He said was happy to work and be living in such a nice place. Will miss seeing him at Costco.

13 people like this
Posted by Mary & Jeremiah
on Nov 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Costco trips will never be the same again. We love you and surely miss you.

29 people like this
Posted by Diana Kalliaras
a resident of Blackhawk
on Nov 13, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Knowing Arlie was a reminder of how capable the human heart is for selflessness, love, compassion, humility, joy, humor and optimism. He lived to the fullest, invested in people not things, embraced life and God, and counted his blessings everyday saying Shari and Tinkerbell was his winning lottery ticket,

14 people like this
Posted by Laura Wahl
on Nov 13, 2017 at 11:43 pm

What a selfless, giving person. I will miss his friendly greeting at Cost Co.

8 people like this
Posted by Darlene Gayler
on Nov 14, 2017 at 10:50 am

I would like to donate to UCSF Benioff Childrens'Hospital in honor of Arlie, but I'd like them to be able to notify his wife, Shari, of the donation- so she knows how many people thought so much of Arlie. Is there an email address the donation notification can be sent to?

12 people like this
Posted by Shari Smith
on Nov 14, 2017 at 2:27 pm

UCSF BENIOFF Children's hospital set up a special link just for donations in Arlie's honor. I'm able to see each person who donated and you can leave a message and I can't express how much this means to me
The link to donate is
Www.crowdrise.com/arlie-smiths-memorial-fund

4 people like this
Posted by Westside Dave
on Nov 15, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Arlie was a good guy. When my kids were little they always looked forward to going to Costco to see him. He always brought a smile to our faces with his smile and kind words. He will be missed. Rest in Peace.

6 people like this
Posted by Eddie Jo Mack
a resident of another community
on Nov 15, 2017 at 9:36 pm

I was so proud to be introduced by Arlie as his Aunt. He was an angel of love to so many. Be proud Shari.
Eddie Jo Mack EP2

6 people like this
Posted by Mary Lou Baratta
on Nov 16, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Already Costco is just not the same without Arlie's smiling face there to great us. I knew him from cashier at Costco, year's back, then met both Shari and he at an estate sale in Walnut Creek for Hospice. After I would speak to him about MS as my mom also passed from that terrible affliction when I was 15. That was in 1956. Not much help has come to stop the disease in years since. Arlie will be missed a lot, may he rest in peace now.

4 people like this
Posted by JP
on Nov 17, 2017 at 8:31 am

What a legacy! I looked for Arlie every time I went to Danville Costco. I just wanted to say HI as if we were long time friends. He was a gem and will certainly be missed by everyone who's life he touched. God Bless you, Shari; you struck gold with this guy. Kudos to his parents for raising a remarkable man.

2 people like this
Posted by Judie Verrips
on Nov 17, 2017 at 8:56 am

A life well lived. Rest in the arms of Jesus Arlie.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: “It’s Not My Problem. It’s Your Problem.”
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 32 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

DanvilleSanRamon.com and Pleasanton Weekly are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form