SRPD: Jogger fatally struck by car at Iron Horse Trail crossing

Original post made on Oct 23, 2018

A Walnut Creek man died at a San Ramon hospital after being hit by a car while jogging across Crow Canyon Road at the Iron Horse Regional Trail intersection Tuesday morning, according to a police spokesman.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:10 AM

Posted by DanvilleResident
on Oct 23, 2018 at 2:10 pm

I go through intersecting while running on the trail and not a month goes by that I don't see at least one car run the red light. About 10-15 red light violations a year. Maybe they need to install red-light violation cameras and hand out $1000 tickets.

Posted by Matt
a resident of Walnut Creek
on Oct 23, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Frequent runner of the iron horse in all directions.

Danville, Alamo, Walnut Creek all maintain their section of the trail. They have pedestrian bridges, water fountains, bathrooms, trashcans, etc. San Ramon meanwhile has completely failed to develop or improve theirs. It's ridiculous that pedestrian bridges haven't been built "because of funding" when they're dumping money into their new townhall, downtown, etc. They do finally have a water fountain between Crow Canyon and Bollinger but are seriously lagging in pretending to care.

Posted by DanvilleResident
on Oct 23, 2018 at 2:29 pm

San Ramon is busy spending their money on the City Center in Bishop Ranch. They don't have money to worry about piddly pedestrians on the Iron Horse Trail.

The least they could do is to install a 6+ inch high speed bump on Crow Canyon Road near that dangerous intersection with the Iron Horse Trail.

Posted by Heartbroken
on Oct 23, 2018 at 4:26 pm

All the love and prayers to his family during this terrible time. Drive safely and attentively at all times with a strong regard for human life. This was preventable.

Posted by Rick
a resident of another community
on Oct 23, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Dear Heartbroken and others,
Our family wants to say Thank you for your thoughts and prayers

Posted by 22 yearsDanville
on Oct 23, 2018 at 8:10 pm

This is a terrible accident, truly heart breaking. I drive in that area 5 to 7 times a week, I have been for over 20 years. I always see cars stop at the red light. I frequently see runners and bikers crossing against the red trying to beat the cars. Nobody knows what happened today except the driver. RIP

Posted by Rickrides
on Oct 24, 2018 at 7:25 am

A friend of mine was hit on her bike at that location. A woman ran the red light next to a car and truck stopped in the other 2 lanes. The truck blocked the view of the car that hit her. My friend my never fully recover from her injuries.

They can't build those bridges soon enough! San Ramon, find the money!!!

Posted by Work in San Ramon
a resident of another community
on Oct 24, 2018 at 8:25 am

I have worked in San Ramon for 12 years. I pass this intersection weekly. EVERYDAY I see adult joggers and adult bicyclists run the red light. It is Ridiculous!! Unfortunately, a life has been taking way too soon!! Prayer is needed for everyone involved. A RED LIGHT means you SHALL AND MUST STOP VECHICLES, JOGGERS, BICYCLISTS, WALKERS ETC. Learn to follow rules so we can live a safe LIFE!!!

Posted by David Ernest
on Oct 24, 2018 at 9:21 am

David Ernest is a registered user.

Matt and others -

San Ramon was among the first city to install improvements on their section of the Iron Horse trail.

I was still a Parks Commissioner when we reviewed, selected and later approved the installations of seven or eight improvements along the San Ramon portion of the Trail. The year would have been in the 2014-16 time frame. I don't remember the specifics of each improvement, but things like benches, Hi Fi hot spots were a couple that I remember in addition to the water fountain feature you described. This was done BEFORE the start of the city center project.

Try and get all the facts before you trash San Ramon.

Posted by Guru
a resident of Blackhawk
on Oct 24, 2018 at 12:56 pm

It's sad state of affair, if only when tragedy struck after the responsible government entity has to act.

Posted by Jon
a resident of another community
on Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27 pm

I work right by where this happened. There are definitely joggers and bikers that run the light occasionally. But, this road is dangerous in general mainly due to drivers. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen cars almost hit pedestrians on this crosswalk and others at the Camino Ramon intersection when the pedestrian clearly had the right of way. I see it virtual;ly every week over the last 8 years.
People need to slow down.

Posted by Saddened
on Oct 24, 2018 at 4:09 pm

This gentleman was our co-worker. Very sad. Prayers to he and his family.

Posted by Pedal Power
on Oct 24, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Commiserations to both families.
The only places I consistently have problems, with cars not stopping, are Mayhew Way and Monument Boulevard. the Monument traffic light-controlled pedestrian crossing being so bad that you are even in danger when walking a brightly colored bike, (I've mainly given up trying to ride it).
@David Ernest: benches and WiFi hotspots are all very well, and they are appreciated, but the improvement I'm most grateful for is the PAVING!

Posted by hate driving
on Oct 27, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Sycamore Valley Road also desperately needs a pedestrian overcrossing for safety and traffic flow. -So busy and dangerous.

Posted by Rick
a resident of another community
on Nov 1, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

Web Link