Danville: Popular Fourth of July parade to go on, in live-stream mode | Town Square | DanvilleSanRamon.com |

Danville: Popular Fourth of July parade to go on, in live-stream mode

Original post made on May 18, 2020

The 2020 Danville Fourth of July Parade, a Contra Costa County institution for more than 60 years that draws more than 30,000 people to the streets of this small town, is going "virtual" this year in deference to the COVID-19 crisis.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, May 17, 2020, 12:27 PM

3 people like this
Posted by me
on May 18, 2020 at 1:53 pm

I'm confused after reading the article about the Danville 4th of July parade. Is there going to be a real parade or not? I say yes....my wife says no.

Like this comment
Posted by Jeremy Walsh, editor
a resident of another community
on May 18, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Sorry for the confusion, me. It is our understanding that there will be no physical/in-person parade, but the Kiwanis Club will be using imagery submitted in advance to present a virtual parade (of clips/photos) shared online.

11 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
on May 19, 2020 at 8:57 pm

I'm so tired of the tyrannical government control. The stats don't warrant what we're going through. The mass hysteria and fear mongering needs to stop. The initial panic is over. Open California, and let the elderly and sick (or anyone else who is worried) stay home. The cure is worse than the cause, and I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm a realist. Let people get back to living their lives.

5 people like this
Posted by Jerry
on May 20, 2020 at 12:39 pm

I don't think you are thinking about your family and the people you maybe in contact with. While I disagree and hate every moment of this lock down, the dumb mask, I know its for our best interest. Being alive is more important, I can deal with everything else...

6 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
on May 20, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Jerry... I respectfully disagree. I felt that way at first, until the stats came out. Less than 1% of Californians (0.14% according to Stanford) and 97% recovery rate. 7% of Californians have tested positive, which means 93% were negative. According to the MDs and RNs I know, most cases are mild to moderate. According to the people I know who've tested positive (my cousin and his wife in Illinois, an RN friend in the Chico area) the symptoms were very mild. They quarantined and went back to work. It's people with underlying health conditions - especially the elderly, but any age that are dying. People with underlying health conditions are at risk of dying, and they need to stay home. I'm no longer buying into the mass hysteria, overreaction that is the narrative of MSM. The media is just doing there job, but enough is enough. I'm in excellent health, and I'm ready to start living again.

6 people like this
Posted by Phil
on May 21, 2020 at 9:49 pm

It's a celebration, I've already chalked out my space in the family room to watch.

2 people like this
Posted by Jason
on May 22, 2020 at 9:44 am

Unfortunately, without the "control group" of people who would have become infected without shelter in place, the current stats just support the position that physical distancing is what is keeping us from being another New York City. This disease doesn't only seriously impact the elderly or people with chronic health conditions, as we've seen athletes, children, young adults, etc. become extremely ill or die from Covid 19. I've personally known 3 people who had it, two died and one had a mild case. I know several others who were symptomatic (and very ill) but who didn't have access to a test. I'm not saying we should shelter in place forever, but we need a realistic way to open back up. Such a shame the pandemic response team was cut. Maybe we'd have a real plan in place if we still had their guidance here. I'm with you, Phil - ready to enjoy our beautiful parade from my couch!

8 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Diablo
on May 22, 2020 at 12:45 pm

CA scored "D-" on social distancing. All 50 states were rated, and the highest grade was "C." I think it was Nebraska. I don't know anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19, but I agree that's blown way out of proportion. Sure it's real, but you're not going to die every time you go to the store anymore than you're going to die every time you walk out the door and drive the freeways. Quit the oversaturation and you'll relax. The same thing happened after 9-11. Turn the news OFF. I like parades, and shutting down the country is getting old.

6 people like this
Posted by RWR
on May 22, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Interesting how the liberals had no health concerns about the homeless taking over San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, etc with public defecation and leaving drugs and human feces everywhere, but God forbid if I do not wear a mask when I go into Safeway in Alamo, crucify him!!!