Pedestrian dies in collision with vehicle on Dublin Boulevard

Original post made on Jun 8, 2021

A local man was killed when he was struck by a pickup truck while trying to cross Dublin Boulevard on foot on Monday morning, according to city police.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, June 7, 2021, 3:57 PM

Posted by Sue P.
on Jun 8, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Sue P. is a registered user.

Does it really matter if the victim was in the crosswalk or “just outside of it?” Even if someone is jaywalking they don’t deserve to be struck and killed. I’m not saying that’s what happened, merely commenting what was said in the article about the investigation.

Posted by Online Editor
a resident of another community
on Jun 8, 2021 at 6:52 pm

Online Editor is a registered user.

Thanks for reaching out, Sue P. Whether a pedestrian is inside or outside of crosswalk is often among the key factors for determining who is at fault in a crash like this (including criminal and civil liability for the surviving party). It seems like who had the right-of-way, in terms of the traffic signals, is also at play in this case.
-Jeremy Walsh, editor

Posted by Jennifer
on Jun 11, 2021 at 2:03 pm

Jennifer is a registered user.

Well... if you're jaywalking you're crossing illegally and if you're within the crosswalk you're crossing legally. It matters to me. Jaywalkers irritate me to no end. If her point was erring on the side of sensitivity to the deceased that's understandable, but if she doesn't understand that it's part of the investigation and who has the right -of-way while driving/walking she's not thinking very clearly. You don't have to be a journalist to understand this.

Posted by Sue P.
on Jun 11, 2021 at 6:49 pm

Sue P. is a registered user.

Jennifer - I know jaywalking is illegal. But is it legal to run over jaywalkers? You make it sound like they deserve it. I hope that’s not what you mean. We have very few crosswalks in our neighborhood (three in one mile) and when I’m walking my dog I often need to jaywalk to avoid unleashed dogs, large groups of people, etc. At the height of the pandemic I felt it was necessary to cross the street to get away from oncoming, unmasked pedestrians. So it’s a sensitive topic to me. Drivers should always give safe passage to pedestrians, regardless of the law, as I assume the driver in the story tried to do.

Posted by Jennifer
on Jun 11, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Jennifer is a registered user.

Sue P. -- I've never jaywalked in my life. If you're jaywalking you're putting yourself and your dog at risk, as well as innocent drivers. This story isn't about "you." If you're that sensitive to the media doing their job (correctly) don't read the news. They don't owe you an explanation just because you're overly sensitive and no -- of course I don't think anyone deserves to get hit and killed. I DO expect everyone to abide by the laws. If you can't make it to a corner to cross legally, take your dog to a dog park. Dog owners do it ALL the time. Do unmasked people outside really frighten you to the point of jaywalking? Jaywalking is laziness. Unbelievable.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from DanvilleSanRamon.com sent to your inbox.

"VoiceMale"
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,580 views

Innovation Tri-Valley releases its 2040 Vision
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 1,229 views

Buyer Beware! The Ethics of College Essay Workshops
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 925 views

2021 guide to summer camps

Looking for something for the kids to do this summer, learn something new and have fun? The Summer Camp Guide features local camps for all ages and interests.

Find Camps Here