News

Lucky California supermarket concept opens near downtown Danville

Rebranded store focuses on locally sourced options, 'better-for-you' food

Danville's Lucky California offers shoppers locally sourced Californian foods as well as expanded pick up and go food services. (photo by Ryan J. Degan)

Danville residents may have noticed a new shopping experience at their local Lucky Supermarket, with the grocery store recently renovated and rebranded as the Bay Area’s newest Lucky California supermarket.

The most recent of the Lucky California concepts launched in the Bay Area by Save Mart Companies, the parent company of Lucky Supermarkets, the new store on San Ramon Valley Boulevard offers shoppers locally sourced Californian foods, expanded pick up and go food services, and an environment that company officials say is inspired by the diverse culture of the region.

“I’m excited to offer Danville a fresh way to shop” store manager Mark Poston said in a statement. “With Lucky California’s expanded food services, unique offerings and great customer service, I am positive our stores and friendly team members will continue to provide a remarkable shopping experience for our customers and the community.”

Located just south of downtown Danville at 660 San Ramon Valley Blvd., the newly renovated store offers expanded grab and go food services like fresh salad and hot soup bars, unique food offerings from local vendors, and an expanded assortment of organic and “better-for-you” items.

To celebrate the grand reopening of Danville’s Lucky California, company officials “adopted” John Baldwin Elementary School, through Lucky California’s Adopt-A-School Program, which supports schools by providing resources like treats for teachers or donated books.

Lucky California also teamed up with Kids Country -- a Danville-based organization that provides out-of-school care to kids -- and gave two $500 community donations to “enhance school programs and community services.”

Lucky has 70 store locations throughout the Bay Area, other Lucky California concepts are located in Dublin, Daly City and Carmel-by-the-Sea.

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

7 people like this
Posted by Cody
a resident of Diablo
on Jul 11, 2019 at 6:32 am

I do hope they have re-trained the employees. In all the years I stopped by I’ve never met a worker who was friendly towards me, and actually looked like they enjoyed their jobs. My one word description of the workers would be Surly..

16 people like this
Posted by Kathy
on Jul 11, 2019 at 9:00 am

A smile goes a long way Cody, you should try it.
I’ve been a long time shopper and it’s always been a pleasant experience.

14 people like this
Posted by Paul
a resident of Diablo
on Jul 11, 2019 at 12:48 pm

I thoroughly agree with Kathy. I shop have shopped there regularly for years and always find it a pleasant experience with helpful,friendly employees. Very happy to see the upgrades to the store as it was beginning to show it's age. Now it looks great.

14 people like this
Posted by Westside Dave
on Jul 11, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I'm with Kathy and Paul. I've been shopping there since it opened in the early 70's and have only experienced friendly, helpful staff. It looks great now, love it!

12 people like this
Posted by LindyBee
on Jul 11, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I shop regularly at the Danville Lucky's and have ALWAYS had friendly, helpful service! Especially the gal in the Meat Dept (Nancy?) who takes time to suggest recipes and which cut of meat to use. I like the remodel, and like that the store is not huge. Makes shopping easier. And do you know that now you can buy a cut of meat and they will grill it for you while you shop? They also now have hot lunches...burgers, fish tacos...in the Meat Dept.

8 people like this
Posted by hamilton
a resident of Vista Grande Elementary School
on Jul 11, 2019 at 6:18 pm

hamilton is a registered user.

The new remodel looks great! I look forward to shopping there. As a long time resident of Danville, I agree with the others about the friendly, courteous employees!

2 people like this
Posted by ACE
a resident of John Baldwin Elementary School
on Jul 12, 2019 at 12:36 pm

+1 for Cody. Tried the store maybe 5 times and gave up. Had issues with incompetent bagging every time (ie 6 pack of club soda on top of bananas. Tried pointing this out twice and got some mix of eye rolling, sighs and an attitude. The new concept sounds great....but not worth the entitled attitude of the employees.

Like this comment
Posted by ACE 2
on Jul 12, 2019 at 1:51 pm

I agree with ACE. Employees, with the exception of Dan who was fantastic, are horrible!! I would try to avoid "the sweaty lady" cashier who always looked like she was on a verge of a nervous breakdown, and the "Drew Carey lookalike" guy cashier who seemed stoned out of his mind. The bag boy, Scott, is very nice and a hard worker, and I hate seeing the cashiers being rude to him. I do not care how much Luckys spends on fancy ads and construction, unless they retrain their horrible cashiers I will continue to drive much farther to Safeway for better cashiers.

2 people like this
Posted by Anne
on Jul 13, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Hate the “flower” logo—-a California poppy would have worked better than the Asian attempt.