News

Businessman Allen Timmons campaigning for Danville Town Council on 'no-growth platform'

Resident seeks to preserve community character and culture of Danville, promote transparency in government

Danville resident and business executive Allen Timmons has officially launched a campaign to represent his community on the Town Council, seeking to preserve Danville's community character by running on a no-growth platform.

Businessman Allen Timmons starts campaign to serve on the Danville Town Council. (Photo courtesy Allen Timmons)

The president of Western Steel and Wire in San Francisco, Timmons has promoted himself as a passionate resident striving to give back to his community and serve as a conservative and constitutional voice in Danville.

"I am running because I genuinely care about the citizens and town of Danville. I really want to save Danville's small-town way of life and culture. I really, really, really worry that if someone doesn't step in soon and preserve Danville's culture, it may be too late," Timmons told DanvilleSanRamon.com.

"Look at what's happening in other neighboring cities; uncontrolled growth with no thought to infrastructure, architecture, overcrowding and no regard to what its citizens want; crime; disrespect and lack of support for our police; racial tensions. I fear these things are heading our way if not already here," he added.

Campaigning on a self-described "no-growth platform," Timmons said he is concerned that the growth and urban sprawl seen in other Bay Area communities will spill out into Danville and detrimental change the town's character and further congest its surrounding roadways.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support DanvilleSanRamon.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

"I don't want Danville to end up looking like Oakland or Berkeley as well as take on its culture. I see the expansion and growth of San Ramon, Dublin and even the eastern part of Danville, and I really worry our culture may change," he said. "I look at the mega apartment complex off of Diablo and wonder: How did that ever get approved?"

Building off of his no growth platform, Timmons further highlighted transparency in government as a priority for his campaign, saying the people of Danville need to be made aware of the development and approval process for any proposed development, project or issue. He added that the people of Danville should ultimately be the ones to approve proposed projects and developments.

Timmons owns and operates Western Steel & Wire, a manufacturing company located in San Francisco for over 80 years, which he says highlights his status as a businessman, not a politician. He added that since he has no special interest ties in Danville, he would not be unduly influenced by local development groups.

While he has no prior experience serving on a governing body or committee, Timmons says this is a good thing as it means he can come in with a fresh perspective focused on maximizing Danville's quality of life with a business mindset.

"I'm a businessman, not a government employee, never have been. Never served on a government committee which is a good thing -- I have no baggage. I can bring to the table, capitalistic business and leadership practices vs. bureaucratic waste," he said.

"Most important, as a business owner in SF, I have no monetary, special interest ties to Danville -- I'm not a local realtor, lawyer, government employee, contractor, etc. What motivated me is my desire to give back to the community; I am still working but as a business owner, I can make time to help," Timmons added.

Resident's can learn more about Timmons and his campaign online at www.facebook.com/towncouncilcandidate.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Follow DanvilleSanRamon.com on Twitter @DanvilleSanRamo, Facebook and on Instagram @ for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

by / Danville San Ramon

Uploaded: Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 5:54 pm
Updated: Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 5:59 pm

Comments

Todd D
Danville
on Aug 17, 2020 at 7:34 am
Todd D, Danville
on Aug 17, 2020 at 7:34 am
21 people like this

Mr. Timmon's goal may sound admirable as to "no growth" but it is both bad for Danville and contrary to both a State mandate and State needs. We have an almost immeasurable shortage of housing in the State and the Bay Area in particular. From the Association of Bay Area Governments - California state law recognizes that local governments play a vital role in developing affordable housing. In 1969, the state mandated that all California cities, towns and counties must plan for the housing needs of our residents—regardless of income. This is not "optional" its the law.

This state mandate is called the Housing Element and Regional Housing Needs Allocation, or RHNA. As part of RHNA, the California Department of Housing and Community Development, or HCD, determines the total number of new homes the Bay Area needs to build—and how affordable those homes need to be—in order to meet the housing needs of people at all income levels.

Danville is currently ( as of 4/2020) at barely meeting 50% of its State required new housing. It has provided 0.0% its requirement for Very Low Income housing, 9% of its Low Income housing and only 25% of its moderate household income housing. And before readers misinterpret the term "low income" housing as something of which to be fearful, keep in mind that "Very Low" Income means a household of 4 persons with a household income of $65,000 per year. "Low" Income means a household of 4 persons $105,000 per year. Neither income level suggests any statistical diminution of value of neighboring properties and provides needed housing for persons like law enforcement and other civil servants as well as many folks who work as employees in our local businesses.

Mr. Timmons was quoted as saying he did not understand how the apartment project at the top of Diablo Road at 680 was approved. As a candidate he probably should have understood the Town's Housing Element (the fact that the allocation of housing units at that density and one other site have been in the Town's plan for years) and the Town is required by law to provide more housing. Danville has an extremely thoughtful and conservative approving body. Anyone who believes Danville is headed for "out of control" growth is clearly not paying attention and does not understand the law. We need smart growth, efficient growth and growth that helps meet the housing needs of all Californians.

The scare tactic talking points of: "Look at what's happening in other neighboring cities; uncontrolled growth with no thought to infrastructure, architecture, overcrowding and no regard to what its citizens want; crime; disrespect and lack of support for our police; racial tensions. I fear these things are heading our way if not already here," may make for "fear mongering" soundbite but bears no resemblance to the realities we face here in the 680 corridor. Danville continues to rated as one of the safest cities in America. And while the Town has work to do on meeting its affordable housing objectives, our town leadership has done a good job of working to delivery high quality residential and commercial projects.

I strongly encourage Danville residents to understand our needs, our legal requirements, the plans already documented and approved by the Town, and work together to continue to have smart, high quality, growth.

Allen Timmons
Danville
on Aug 19, 2020 at 3:27 pm
Allen Timmons, Danville
on Aug 19, 2020 at 3:27 pm
11 people like this

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your input. I agree with the fact Danville is a safe city and I want to keep it that way. That's why we need a conservative/constitutional voice in our council. As you know, plans like the Housing Element to the General Plan can be revised to reflect the real interests of Danville and it's citizens.

kayster
Danville
on Aug 20, 2020 at 8:34 am
kayster, Danville
on Aug 20, 2020 at 8:34 am
6 people like this

You've got my vote, Allen. Thanks for taking a sensible, pragmatic approach.

Cliff
Danville
on Aug 23, 2020 at 11:31 am
Cliff, Danville
on Aug 23, 2020 at 11:31 am
3 people like this

After reading this I am voting for Mr. Timmons.
He is very clear on his vision for Danville and owning a construction material business in California that’s over 80 years old should nominate him for Sainthood.
No doubt he knows the the pain and oppression from the government boot on the neck.
I plan to make a few phone calls and convince others to vote for him..

Todd D
Danville
on Aug 27, 2020 at 8:14 am
Todd D, Danville
on Aug 27, 2020 at 8:14 am
19 people like this

Mr. Timmons,

I'd appreciate some clarification on your reference to your use of the term "conservative/constitutional". If you are somehow implying that current and past Town Council actions have been "unconstitutional" I'd very much like to understand the legal basis for one to draw such a conclusion.

There is no liberal or conservative approach to the Housing Element. The Town is required to comply with the State's mandate for new housing at every income bracket.

With regard to "conservative", Danville is rated in the top 10% of California cities in terms of fiscal strength as measured by the Auditor of the State of California. Further, Danville has been voted the safest City in California for the past 3 years.

As you might conclude from my comments, I am quite skeptical of your platform as to how it applies to Danville's current state.

I look forward to you website illustrating specific actions you would take, or initiatives you'd put forth, on Town Council that would improve these measurements as well as our overall quality of life.

Allen Timmons
Danville
on Sep 5, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Allen Timmons, Danville
on Sep 5, 2020 at 3:24 pm
1 person likes this

Todd, thank you for your response. I know we have bureaucratic challenges; but be assured, when a vote comes around in the council, my vote will a conservative vote and a vote for no growth. Whether it is I or another conservative who is appointed, it doesn’t matter to me, all I care about is preserving our heritage.
I have been going around getting feedback from the community. Todd, what are the top (5) things that are important to you about Danville? Or, what top (5) things would you change?

phyllis heister
Danville
on Sep 6, 2020 at 6:59 am
phyllis heister, Danville
on Sep 6, 2020 at 6:59 am
Like this comment

I am very proud that Dr. Allen Timmons (my son) made the decision to run for office. His Grandfather's and Grandmother's dining room table was the site of many, many "lively" discussions. His grandfather was a city councilman for 16 years, as was an Aunt of his as well as his stepfather. Input was always welcome even if you didn't agree, and you had to be able to hold your own and support your issue. His Grandmother, a school teacher for over 25 years, kept it "fight free". His Grandmother and Grandfather Clifton were also very involved as community volunteers as were all seven of their children, no matter where they lived. I think Dr. Allen Timmons can hold his own and fight for his community very effectively.

Parent and Voter
Danville
on Sep 17, 2020 at 8:42 am
Parent and Voter, Danville
on Sep 17, 2020 at 8:42 am
2 people like this

Allen Timmons has one of my votes for Danville's Town Council openings. We need someone who reflects the values of Council members of the earlier days where they serve our residents rather than Sacramento.

Renee Morgan is the incumbent who has another one of my votes. Unlike other current members she is doing what is best for Danville, not what Sacramento thinks is best for us. It is time to remove other incumbents who, in my observations, care more about Sacramento than they do about Danville.

My third vote will be a newcomer that does NOT have ties to current members of the council. I want to find out more about who gets my third vote.

dbrower
Alamo
on Sep 22, 2020 at 10:46 am
dbrower, Alamo
on Sep 22, 2020 at 10:46 am
3 people like this

For all those who oppose growth in the tri-valley area, where do you think your children and grandchildren are going to live?

Allen Timmons
Danville
on Oct 6, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Allen Timmons, Danville
on Oct 6, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Like this comment

Hi dbrower. Thank you for your input and I genuinely understand your concerns. A lot of options exist. They don't have to live in Danville; if so, then buy one for sale. San Ramon just approved 4,500 new homes; then there's Dublin - there building like crazy - looking out from 580E, it looks like one glob of homes blended all together. Then there's all kind of expansion in Concord, Pleasant Hill, Livermore ... You could even add on to your home or sell it to your children. In addition, there are other options besides the Tri-Valley or even CA. There are record numbers of people leaving the state going to Texas, AZ, Nevada, etc. Many, many, many options exist without adding homes in Danville.

dbrower
Alamo
on Oct 12, 2020 at 7:06 pm
dbrower, Alamo
on Oct 12, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Like this comment

Mr Timmons,

You will understand that it seems odd to be sending our children and grandchildren elsewhere because we're concerned about maintaining the character of our current situation. When hearing about migration from California to other states you mention, the conservatives in those states -- especially Texas -- are aghast that we are exporting our liberal ways.

I will put you down as supporting turning Texas and Arizona Blue as necessary to preserving Danville's character. (Nevada is probably already gone that way).